July 27, 2012

Craft at Your Own Risk

This week I finally convinced myself to do a crafting project that I have been wanting to do for a long time, but never got around to. I read This Blog a few months ago and thought I would try to etch our name into our Pyrex baking dishes using the same method. So I went to Hobby Lobby (i.e. greatest store on earth) and got some Armor Etch. Glad I brought my coupon, because the stuff is not cheap! $8.99 for the little bottle.

When I got home, I read the back of the Armor Etch thinking it might tell me what to do, but it didn't. All that was written on the back was a lengthy warning about how it can cause severe burns, blindness, possible death, and that it should not be sold to anyone under the age of 18. Yikes! Okay...a little scared now... but I re-read the blog about it and looked at the Armor Etch Website. I decided that I would probably survive if I followed the steps correctly. I mean, they sell the stuff at Hobby Lobby just right there on the shelf, not locked up in a safety vault! If so many people use it to make beautiful crafts, it is probably worth the risk.

I started by designing the logo in MS Word on our computer and printing it (mirror image setting) directly onto some contact paper. Then I waited awhile for the ink to dry (a few hours). Next, I began the painstaking process of cutting out the lettering, leaving the negative space in tact so as to use it as a stencil for the Armor Etch. The first time I used scissors, then stuck my cut pieces onto the Pyrex. The second one I did, I stuck the contact paper on first, then used a sharp paring knife (for lack of an exacto knife) to cut out the design right on the Pyrex. Both worked equally well. The contact paper I used was left over from lining the drawers in my nursery, so it was green and white floral print rather than clear, and I was glad. It was much easier to see the design and where I needed to cut.

Once I had it all cut out, I made sure it was just as I wanted it. Armor Etch is permanent! I also used a credit card to rub down the contact paper and make sure it was stuck very well onto the Pyrex, then I used rubbing alcohol to clean the glass within my stencil.

Now it was time for the scary part! I donned my thick rubber gloves, apron, and protective eye wear. I lined the counter with newsprint so as to protect the surface. I got out a foam craft brush that I could just toss it after use, rather than having to clean a nice brush. I shook up the bottle of Armor Etch really well. I took a deep breath, unscrewed the lid, and began to cover my design in a thick layer of the cream.

Turns out it was not so scary after all. I got it all set in place, rinsed and tossed the brush, and waited.  The Armor Etch site said to only leave it on for 1 minute, which I did at first, but when I rinsed it off there was hardly any sign of etching. So I left my stencil in place, dried off the dish, and re-applied the Armor Etch. This time I sat down and waited a good 15 minutes (and at a popsicle) before rinsing, and it was perfect. I guess Pyrex is pretty heavy duty glass, maybe it just takes longer than other things (like a wine glass or something) might take.


I took off my stencil and washed and dried my pans. Beautiful! I just love them! Now I know just what to do next time I am looking for a wedding gift. Thanks Armor Etch for being so cool!

The finished products:

No comments:

Post a Comment