February 16, 2012

The Idea

When I started making clothes for my babies I had a lot of people asking if I could make something for their kids too. So I opened up a little Facebook shop to sell some of my creations to friends and family. Since then, I have gotten more people asking if I could teach them how to make clothes for their babies than I have gotten orders. Since the arrival of our newest addition, Violet, it has been hard to find time to sew much at all. Let's face it, with the time I do have, I would much rather be sewing things for my own girls than taking orders for others. I was feeling a little bogged down every time someone wanted to buy something, and I wasn't enjoying sewing much anymore. Right around this time, like many of you, I also discovered Pinterest. I started reading sewing blogs written my mommies just like me who were not only making sweet little things for their little ones, but also posting directions for the rest of us to follow along. What a brilliant idea! So I am closing up shop and starting a new blog to help guide those who wish to learn. In my mind, this is the best of everything: time to sew for my own girls, make projects that I enjoy and get excited about, and teach others how to fend for themselves and make precious things that their children will cherish now and when they are grown.

So how is this going to work? Well, each time I make something for my precious ones, I am going to photograph it each step of the way and post the pics with directions. Hopefully this will make it easy for you to sew along if you so desire.

I will "level" each project into these categories:
Novice: Project requires very little sewing experience or skill, but it might be nice to know how to use the basic functions of a sewing machine.
Beginner: Project uses basic sewing techniques, but with more steps than novice projects, broken down with detailed instructions.
Intermediate: For those who know the basics and are able to follow along with slightly fewer images and less detailed instructions.
Advanced: Not sure I am even qualified for this category yet! Projects will use more functions of your sewing machine and will have more difficult techniques.

Most mommies, like myself, have to operate on a limited number of "alone minutes" (i.e. Nap Time!). I use my precious "alone minutes" for showers, eating lunch, and getting household chores done. Occasionally, I have the luxury of catching up on a DVR show or checking e-mails. Rarely, I have enough time left to work on a sewing project. For this reason, I am going to break up each project into small segments that you could accomplish (ideally, that is) in about 30 minutes. If you can give 30 minutes a day for 5 days, you will have a new, little, mommy-made, something something for your sweet one at the end of the week. I hope this works out for all of us! Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment